Company

admin September 24, 2018

Michael Kors might be about to snap up Versace. The US handbag maker is close to buying Versace in a deal that values the Italian fashion house at around $2 billion, according to Bloomberg. The deal could be announced as soon as this week. Versace declined to comment. Michael Kors and private equity firm Blackstone, […]

admin September 24, 2018

The gold industry has a new king. Canada’s Barrick Gold (ABX) is buying rival Randgold (GOLD) to create the world’s biggest gold miner, the two companies announced Monday. The combined entity will have a market value of more than $18 billion. Barrick shareholders will end up owning about 67% of the new company. John Thornton, […]

admin September 23, 2018

Retailers are making big hiring plans in anticipation of the holiday shopping rush. Gap (GPS) said on Monday that it was bringing on 65,000 seasonal workers. Target (TGT) announced plans for 120,000 workers last week, 20% more than last year, while Macy’s said it was hiring 80,000, the same number as last year. Delivery and […]

admin September 22, 2018

When most people think about health care, rarely do “discounts” and “low prices” come to mind. But Walmart is looking to change that. The retail behemoth, which markets itself as the leader in “Everyday Low Prices,” is beefing up its presence in the health care sector. It inked a deal last month with Anthem, one […]

admin September 22, 2018

The demise of the credit card is greatly exaggerated. Yes, companies like Square (SQ) and PayPal (PYPL), which owns Venmo, are red hot — especially with millennials. But the stocks of American Express, Visa and MasterCard have all hit record highs in the past week. AmEx (AXP) stock is up more than 10% this year. […]

admin September 22, 2018

Aston Martin wants to sell its shares at a price that would put the luxury brand in the same league as Ferrari. But does it have the horsepower? The favorite carmaker of fictional British secret service agent James Bond announced plans Thursday to sell shares for up to £22.50 ($29.75) each in its initial public […]

admin September 22, 2018

Walmart recently spent billions to get into online retail in India. Now Amazon is going offline in the hope of gaining millions of new customers in the vast market. The e-commerce giant is buying 49% of More, a popular Indian supermarket chain, according to multiple reports in local media. The remaining 51% will be owned […]

admin September 21, 2018

Procter & Gamble, the maker of familiar brands like Tide, Pampers, Gillette and Bounty, has been knocked around the past few years by lackluster sales and new competitors. Its latest headache is President Donald Trump’s trade war with China. For P&G, the Trump administration’s latest round of tariffs on Chinese imports will raise the cost […]

admin September 21, 2018

The head of a big publicly traded pot company said he’s preparing for potential changes that will make his products available in America. Cannabis is still illegal in the United States under federal law, even though a number of states have legalized marijuana. But Bruce Linton, the co-founder and CEO of Canopy Growth (CGC), told […]

admin September 21, 2018

First it was HSBC. Then ING. Now Danske Bank. European banks are still uncovering money laundering on a vast scale. Danske Bank (DNKEY), Denmark’s largest bank, admitted Wednesday that an internal investigation had uncovered a large number of suspicious accounts and transactions at its branch in Estonia. The bank said the branch handled about €200 […]